Highschool. Typing the word makes me shudder. If you just laughed, it’s because you knew me in highschool. If you didn’t… well, just be thankful you missed that unfortunate, necessary stage of my existence. It. Was. Frightening.
It’s only been ten years since I graduated with that lovely class of 5, (No, that was not a typo), but some things seem vastly different from my days in Mr. Worsley’s Biology class… which I aced, by the way. Regardless of your class size though, if you were in school in a decade ago :
- Every kid did not have a cell phone. …smartphone? What?!
- Most homes had a computer, but only one
- Wifi in fast food restaurants did not exist. Hello, Dial up!
- Flat screen TV’s were too expensive
- The IPad was a completely foreign concept
- Facebooking probably meant smacking someone in the face with a book
- IPod’s and Wii‘s didn’t exist
- We passed notes in class, not text messages
- Tweeting and angry birds would have referred to the same thing, not a social media outlet, and an app
- Wait…. App? Like a job application?
- Sick referred to being physically ill rather than something cool
- Fun times were not known as Epic
However, there are some things about highschool that never change. The drama. The drama. The drama. Maybe it’s a little more front and center for me these days b/c I have a brother in highschool, or maybe it’s one of those things you just happen to never forget. The insanity of it all is amazing. Probably 90% of it surrounds dating. The other 10% is just kids being mean to other kids. So here’s the deal boys and girls… BE NICE!!! You don’t like it when someone picks on you. Stop picking on other kids! It doesn’t take a genius to figure this out. ….but she’s soo weird. I can’t be her friend…. Pfffft! Whateva! As if you aren’t weird! Someday that weird kid will grow up to be your boss, and you better hope she doesn’t hold a grudge as that can seriously cut into your paycheck since you insisted on acting like a moron. AND STOP DATING!!! You think I’m kidding. I’m not. High school relationships are the most pointless, drama-filled cesspools on the planet. Don’t believe me? Follow a dating couple around for a week. Do you really want that kind of idiocy as a part of your life? I’ve got news for you. You have homework to do, and you’re teachers/parents don’t give a crap if you got in a fight with your significant other over whether Twilight is retarded or not. (Let me solve this for you. It is insanely retarded. Grow a brain, and stop falling for that crap). If you aren’t ready to get married, you aren’t ready to date. Get ticked at me if you wish. I.DO.NOT.CARE. I’m right. Just be friends. Hang out with friends. I’m not saying to keep yourself separated by gender. And I’m not saying “group date” either. I’m saying don’t date period. Friends. Friends. Friends. And keep it at that. There is FAR less pressure. You don’t have to worry what your hair looks like, or have a nervous breakdown over what to wear. Guys, you don’t have to worry that she will get ticked off if glace at another chick! I can’t tell you how many breakups I’ve watched that cause people to take sides and suddenly the entire group you used to hang out with is separated and scattered in a million different directions. It’s needless drama. If you just stay friends, those friendships remain intact, and your chances are much better for a decent dating relationship later.
95% of the world are idiots. 100% of teenage relationships shove them in that general direction.
High school relationships are like fat people. They seldom work out.